(i wrote this blog post april 12, 2017, and am just copy and pasting it to remain authentic to when i wrote it!! just an FYI)
okay so i haven’t had processed sugar in one month and (almost) 2 weeks. i just felt like my body needed a break from all of the junk.
the first day/week was hard. i felt like my body was addicted to both sugar and to snacking, and i had to ween myself off of this horrible drug. but now, all i want to fill my body with is nothing but nutritious, clean foods (mostly veggies, tbh), and that feels really good.
but since i am human, i still crave something sweet every once in a while. and for some reason, all i’ve been craving lately are lemon bars.
unfortunately, lemon bars don’t really fit into the whole “i’m not eating processed sugar right now” thing, so i developed this super healthy lemon bliss ball recipe using nothing but whole, clean ingredients.
and oh my gawd, these are delicious. these bites literally melt in your mouth and taste like they were made with butter. nothing about them feels healthy, but they are! and one is totally enough to satisfy. here’s how i made my refined sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan lemon bliss balls (keep in mind i didn’t measure, so these are all estimates:
3/4 – 1 cup slivered almonds
2 handfuls shredded coconut
1 cup medjool dates
zest & juice of 1 lemon (save some of the zest to roll the balls in)
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
more shredded coconut and lemon zest
1. zest your lemon. save 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of the zest and set it aside
2. place almonds, coconut and lemon zest in a food processor (i recommend the ninja express chop). pulse until flour-like consistency.
2. add in dates, 3-4 at a time. pulse until they are in tiny pieces. keep adding dates until all have been pulverized. the “dough” will be crumbly
3. add in salt, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. pulse until a sticky dough forms and comes together
4. roll dough into balls
5. combine the zest you set aside with about 1/4 cup coconut flakes
6. roll the balls in the coconut, lemon zest mixture
5. chill for a little bit. and then EAT. ALL OF THEM.
please let me know if you tried this recipe!! i’m obsessed and want other people to appreciate them with me.